Freitag, 18. Juni 2010

Century of the Self



You know why you should watch this free BBC-series called "Century by the Self" by Adam Curtis, which is analysing the impact of Psychoanalysis on our modern and postmodern society? Because...


a) ..it is true.
b) ..it is funny and uses the weapon of irony to make unbearable things bearable. (Take for example this episode, which you could call "Women only smoke because cigarretes look like weeners":





c) ..it is well-researched.
d) ..it is provoking, but without being annoying (in my opinion).
e) ..the narrator has a wonderful british accent!!
f) ..while watching it you will notice that nowadays the repeated and allover repeated criticism of the postmodern world already got somewhere (again: in my opinion at least).

But maybe I also only think things are getting better because I am manipulated myself. And there we are again in the middle of the viscious circle of postmodern thinking which does not allow any clearity, only uncertainty, because if everything is possible at any rate in any minute of time, how can I have a true opinion, which lasts for longer than a second before I deconstruct it myself again to a mere idea of "hope", because hope is not real.

Anyway:

You can watch the whole documentary in four parts (1. Happiness Machines, 2. The Engineering of Consent, 3. There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads: He Must Be Destroyed, 4. Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering) on youtube or www.freedocumentaries.org.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen